Friday, April 22, 2011

Corn, Avocado and Red Pepper Salad & Stuffed Red Bell Pepper

This was probably one of my favorite salads. Simple and really yummy!

Raw Therapy Summer Salad
1 Avocado
1/2 Red Bell Pepper
3/4 Cup of Organic Corn
1 Tbsp Balsamic Vinegar
1 Tbsp Olive Oil
Pinch of Sea Salt


Cut up bell pepper and avocado in small pieces, toss with corn and dressing. A 10 minute salad you will enjoy!

I really like this recipe as I have found over the last 19 weeks, I have had to work very hard to eat enough calories to maintain my current weight. I am actually trying to put on weight. I try to eat an avocado a day for this reason. Have you or do you know of anyone who has had a similar experience with eating a totally raw diet? If so, what did they do besides incorporating a few non raw items back into their diet to compensate?

Food for Thought:
"When an avocado is ripe it is almost a complete food. It supplies potassium, vitamin A and E, some B and C vitamins, and a little protein and starch along with avocado oil, which is mainly a monounsaturated fat. Avocados are a particularly rich source of skin protective antioxidants, especially vitamin E. Together with heart protective monounsaturated oil and the other nutrients they contain, they neutralize damaging free radicals. This makes them good for the heart, circulation, and anti-aging."
Reference: Superfoods - Nutrient Dense Food to Protect your Health

I love bell peppers, red, orange and yellow. They are great to cut up on a salad, eat dipped in dip or my favorite these days is eating them stuffed. This is such an easy recipe. I am back to work part-time, so this is an easy recipe that I can take to work for lunch.




Raw Therapy Stuffed Red Bell Pepper
1/2 Cucumber
1/2 Red Bell Pepper
1/2 Cup Cheesy Cashew Cheese
2 Stalks of Organic Celery
Sprinkle of Sea Salt
Sprinkle of Cinnamon

Food for thought:
"Bell peppers are an excellent source of vitamin C. The red and yellow ones contain four times the amount of vitamin C as oranges, and a serving of green peppers supplies 100 milligrams of vitamin C - over three times the recommended daily allowance."
Reference: Superfoods - Nutrient Dense Food to Protect your Health

What is your favorite recipe to make with peppers?

7 comments:

  1. Yummy, both of those recipes look so good. When I initially started eating raw I lost about 10lbs (and I didn't need to lose any weight to begin with). I've been able to add a few pounds and maintain that weight by eating raw almond butter, chia seeds/flax seeds, and adding sweet raw treats!! In the beginning I was very very heavy on the veggies, but now I realize in order to maintain weight I need to add more nuts/seeds. You can check out my blog (make-it-healthy.blogspot.com)for some ideas on what I eat (raw quiche, raw pizza, raw brownies, raw berry cheesecake, etc).

    ReplyDelete
  2. Both recipes sound delicious!

    I do know a few people who have gotten too thin on raw diets. Some have eaten more nuts and seeds or avocados to help. I know that some people eat up to 4 or 5 avocados a day, one isn't enough for everyone.

    ReplyDelete
  3. Hey Jamie thanks for the suggestions. I am very limited in the nut category as the majority of nuts are very hard on my stomach. Cashews are pretty much the only nut that I can tolerate. I do eat a ton of chia and raw cashew butter and lots of other treats, but I have a very high metabolism to start with so, it has been a challenge, but I will definately check out your blog! Thanks.

    ReplyDelete
  4. @bitt they were really yummy and simple. As I told Jamie, I am very limited in the nut category, but I guess I could up my avocado consumption..that might work...I am also looking forward to trying the raw bread from your last post! That could work also. I will let you know how it turns out!

    ReplyDelete
  5. Your recipes look great!
    I too dropped weight instantly when I went raw.
    I know some people up the banana consumption and the avocado too.
    Peace and Raw Health,
    Elizabeth

    ReplyDelete
  6. Thanks Elizabeth - I will try that!

    ReplyDelete
  7. Hi,

    A wonderful corn salad, savory and fresh-tasting. This recipe is fabulous with silver queen corn in the summer, is also great with healthy fats and fiber. Thanks a lot...

    Avocados Recipes

    ReplyDelete